The French energy company TotalEnergies has inked contracts with Samruk-Kazyna and KazMunayGas to build a 1GW wind farm in Kazakhstan. The company’s affiliate Total Eren will create the Mirny project, which is being marketed as the largest wind energy project ever constructed in Kazakhstan. A 600MWh battery storage system and 200 wind turbines will be a part of the Mirny project.
When fully operational, the project will be able to supply more than a million people in the nation with all of their energy needs. Its creation is a result of a bilateral agreement between France and Kazakhstan to implement cooperation in the fight against climate change.
“TotalEnergies is dedicated to giving its knowledge and know-how to develop Kazakhstan’s natural resources, as we are doing as a partner of the enormous Kashagan field,” stated Patrick Pouyanné, chairman and CEO of TotalEnergies. These contracts serve as an example of TotalEnergies’ approach to the energy transition. On the one hand, we dispose of seasoned, non-core assets like the Dunga field as part of our dynamic portfolio management strategy.
On the other hand, we take great pride in helping the nation’s vision for low-carbon development by funding the significant Mirny wind project. According to TotalEnergies, the agreement has improved its position in Kazakhstan’s market for renewable energy.
Additionally, the business sold its Total E&P Dunga affiliate to Oriental Sunrise, a Kazakh company, for $330 million. The agreement is contingent on both partners waiving their preemption rights and approval from Kazakhstani authorities. To develop, construct, and manage a 12GW renewable portfolio in Brazil, TotalEnergies and Casa dos Ventos (CDV) established a joint venture in October of this year.
The portfolio includes 1GW of onshore wind capacity that is currently being constructed, as well as an operational onshore wind capacity of 700MW. In the JV, CDV will hold a 66% equity position while TotalEnergies would hold the remaining 34%.
Recently, Kezad Group, an affiliate of AD Ports Group, and the French energy business TotalEnergies agreed to investigate solar power generation in their economic zones.